Thursday 15 May 2014

Tour times and Meeting Torvill, Dean and Barber


Me with the Dancing on Ice Leeds Poster 


Hey TnDWorldFans,

Well the tour is over sadly :( and I been home from the UK for 2 weeks this Saturday. So I thought it would be a good time to reflect on my experience.

To be honest as most of you know, I never believed I would never be able to meet Torvill and Dean and Karen Barber, or even see them skate live. So looking back, it has been a total dream come true.

The journey to see the show was a huge one. The trip for me was all about stepping outside my comfort zone. Towards the end of 2013, I wasn't happy at all. Then I was inspired by one of my skating heroes Karen Barber who the last few years after getting to a point in her life, made the choices to improve her happiness.  So I decided I would do something for me, make me happy.... Travel to England by myself and go to the Dancing on Ice tour.

So I bought my tickets in November and planned every little detail.  Finally I got on my plane and travelled to England.
Plane from Sydney to Hong Kong

Gate in Hong Kong about to change to plane to Heathrow

Made it to Heathrow, England! 
So I landed in Heathrow, very early on Friday morning. So I travelled to my friend's in Stockport and spent time with her.  We went and did the Coronation Street Tour and it was amazing to walk the streets of Weatherfield.  Later we had a English high tea over looking Manchester, hometown of Karen Barber.


At the Coronation Street Tour
In front of Rovers Return Inn

English High Tea

First sighting of the DOI Tour - Manchester 
Next day I went to Nottingham, the home of Torvill and Dean. I went to Bolero Square and Ice Skating  at the National Ice Centre.  It was so cool to find the copies of Jayne and Chris' costumes in the foyer.
Bolero Square
Bolero Square opened by Jayne and Chris 
In the foyer of the National Ice Centre
Wall of famous ice skaters - In the foyer of the National Ice Centre
Tour poster in Bolero Square, Nottingham 

Dean Street behind the National Ice Centre
 Paso Doblee
Bolero
Barnum
Mack and Mabel -
T&D Cafe Bar at the Ice Rink

Picture of Jayne and Chris as you head down the stairs to the rink
So after lunch at the T&D Cafe Bar I went for a walk into the City Centre and towards the Nottingham Castle, where the original Bolero Costumes are. The City Centre/ Old Market Square is where Jayne and Chris used to work before they quit there jobs and skated full time. I found the old Norwich Union House where Jayne worked as insurance clark and the Square was where Chris used to work as English Policeman (Bobby). Funny enough the day I was there, there was quite a few around because there was protest on Animal Rights.

City Centre... Chris' beat as a police officer
Norwich Union House where Jayne used to work
Going to the Nottingham Castle was a bit like going to the Holy Grail. I was there for one thing only....Bolero Costumes! I found them and I sat and stared at them for least 5, 10 mins. People came past and were "They look Torvill and Dean costumes" I was saying to myself "Well actually they are the real thing" But I must say the gardens of the castle are so beautiful. I loved all the flowers and cherry blossom trees. They were like snow.
Original Bolero Costumes
Me with the Bolero Costumes
Cherry Blossom Trees in grounds of Nottingham Castle
Spring time at Nottingham Castle 
Leeds was where I saw the Dancing on Ice tour, a total dream come true that night. Got to meet a lot of you which was fabulous. So great to put names with faces. Sort felt a little bit of my own celebrity that night. Thanks for making me feel so special! The show was excellent! They did such a great show. Kyran won the competition that night, I was hoping it was going to be Hayley. Felt so sorry for the people I sat next to! I screamed so much, I sounded like I was being killed or something!!! 
Kyran wins the night! 
My DOI Tour selfie! 


Jayne and Chris were hosts for the night 

Jayne and Chris did so well as hosts for the night and there was quite few sweet moments being the last show in there, including Garth Gates and partner Brianne Delcourt sang and skated for Jayne and Chris. That even got Nicky Slater a bit emotional. Bolero, was breathtaking to see and the whole arena was silent as it went on. Jayne and Chris got a little teary during the speeches at the end, they had trouble getting words out, especially after seeing a video that Matt Evers had put together for Jayne and Chris thanking them from the cast and crew.
Brianne and Gareth singing and skating for Jayne and Chris 
Singing for Jayne and Chris 
After the show had finished I blotted out the door as fast as I could to stage door. Bit hard with so many people trying to leave the arena. Quite a few were all ready gathering.  I was lucky enough to get autographs from Beth, Jayne, Chris and Karen.  Having the Australian card comes in great play in this setting. Meeting Chris was a bit different than I pictured... he is much quieter than he is out on the ice.  I seriously don't remember much of my meeting with him.  Karen Barber was who I met next.... She was so sweet and nice. She couldn't believe I came all that way but I told her it was so worth it.  I gave her like I did Jayne and Chris a special present that represented Australia, but Karen's had a special story behind it. Karen's present was a toy echidna, a native animal in Australia and Karen had answered a question about on the Chase.  Meeting Karen was a big thing for me as I mention before, she had sort inspired me to do this trip. Sadly I didn't get a chance to say that to her.  But I have her to thank for my new found confidence. 
Karen opening my gift (Thanks Laura for the picture)
I was so lucky that some of you girls at stage door were able to capture the moments for me as my camera and phone had both died.  Sadly I didn't get proper photos with Jayne, Chris or Karen but the photos and video I got from you guys means the world to me! So thank you so much 1000 times over girls!

Meeting Jayne Torvill was so amazing, she is so down to earth. She kept thanking me for coming, especially coming such a long way. She mentioned how she loves Australia and She remembers coming to my hometown - Newcastle, Australia all these years  later. Jayne and Chris opened their Russian All Stars Australian Tour in Newcastle actually not far from where I live.  When I mentioned I run @TnDWorldFans she realised who I was and shook my hand saying "You were the one who wanted to meet us tonight"

Rest of my time in England was seeing friends in Newcastle. Which funny enough I wasn't far from where Karen was visiting her daughters Laura and Emma. Saw the Angel of the North and the Quayside.  I also went to London and saw all the sights - Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, St Paul's, Buckingham Palace. I even got to ride the London Eye! Saw Billy Elliot and I also did a backstage tour of the Royal Opera House and went to the Natural History Museum where they had a butterfly house for the start of spring! 
Visiting the Angel of the North
Me on the Millennium Bridge, Newcastle Quayside 
About to start my bus tour of London
Queen's Horse Guard
In front of Buckingham Palace - Queen wasn't home
On the London Eye - London Southbank
St Paul's 
Driving over Tower Bridge 
Big Ben 

Catching the London Tube 

Butterfly house at Natural History Museum 
Holding a butterfly 

Natural History Museum 

Inside the front foyer of the Natural History Museum

All the ballet shoes the Royal Ballet Company go through a month
Royal Opera House
This trip was the best time ever and way too short!! So coming back again and hopefully I get to do skate school with Karen Barber and Dan Whiston! I was so close this time. I grown so much from this trip and would do it again in a heart beat. The only thing that sucked about it was how sick I was after returning home. Almost two weeks on I still fighting off an upper chest infection and jet lag is still a bother.  But I getting better day by day.  See you soon again England but I am happy to be home in Australia. 
Jayne and Chris hosting the tour

Jayne giving out voting details 




                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment